Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Stranger....

I met her a long, long time ago. The perfect stranger. But somehow, I felt like I had vaguely known her.
She was almost the same age as I was. Yet she was so different.

I was a very quiet child. I didn’t talk much and kept my feelings pretty much to myself.
She laughed exuberantly when she was happy. She was down in the dumps when sad. She occasionally cursed and abused people when they crossed lines too close for comfort.

I flinched at the thought of calling people names. I couldn't so much as hurt an insect. I put a smile on my face when I was happy. I tried to appear normal when sad, even though I cried a little in isolation. Even as a child, I acted or tried to act like a grown up person would. By grownups I mean, people who are never "too happy". They are just happy and they smile. When they are sad, they try and appear "normal".

But she was what she was. Made up of raw emotions. I realized that she had been given the independence to be herself. By God himself. She was innocence personified.

Needless to say, I was inspired by her. Children at a young often are.

I shouted at Mom. She stared back. In disbelief. She hadn't seen this side of me, ever.
She was pushing me to the brink. We had an argument. I got up and screamed at her.

I suddenly realized the graveness of my action. Mom left the room in a huff.

Sheepishly, I pulled myself up and looked at her in the eye. Across the room. In the mirror on the opposite wall.

That was the day I realized how different I was on the outside and inside. That was the day I acknowledged the presence of a soul. My soul. Which hitherto had been a stranger to me. It was pure. I was not. I tried to be. Still trying.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Disclaimer: This a work of fiction written for a weekly theme

16 comments:

  1. Hmmm... A soul..
    I think it cries often for Protection from the "Outside-you".. I guess we are not meant to be as pure as our souls are ! :)
    Atleast not the outside-us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahh..watte perspective!!! The comparison between the inner you and the outer me!!

    Realisations come late...I realised my own self very late I shud say...That level of maturity and conscious conscience is very difficult to attain..the ability to know oneself and realise and feel our own mind!!

    Good one Ghata!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. dat was different!
    nice one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @truthamidstrealities: yess...the soul might appear off-handed and blunt....but its pure...I wish to be pure too...

    @Kally: yeahh...quite difficult to fathom the space and distance between the inner and outer you. Thnxx buddy for your time, always.

    @megha: mastaaa again?? :-P compliments mein variety maaangta.... ;-))

    @bLiTz kRieG: thnxx for your time. Glad that you liked the post. :-)

    @N: I take a bow. Thanks a ton. Keep reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Different....n likable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thnxx a lot for your time Farina.I m so glad u liked it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Rahul: really ??????????? :O
    thnxx for ur time, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Ghata
    so crisp and so true!!
    every one needs a time with themseleves
    and "INTROSPECTION"...dont u think so..
    i also think like this...and often ...find answers or else end up with new que ..good read;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Afshan: yeah...agree wid u...n nice to know that we have a similar thought process.....thnaks for sparing ur time... :-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Rashi: thnxx for your time, always :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)