Thursday, January 19, 2012

Meet the Real Parents!

"God couldn't be everywhere, so he created Mothers!"
"My Daddy strongest!"
No, I haven't suddenly turned all parent-patriotic, armed with a facebook status, shouting from the rooftop "Yes Mama Papa....I love you". No thank you very much. I'd like to do it in my own quiet way, inside my home and not on my FB wall. Because that's the last 'Wall' my parents are going to check for my Love graffiti messages. ;-)

Anyway, the reason for this post was a phone call. Don't ask me who. You are going to guess it by the end of the post.
Pretty much like handing over legacy down to your son(s) and house keys to daughter-in-law(s), there is another phenomenon of handing down torture to the future generations. And yeah, I am not only talking about ragging in colleges! I have seen many of my own juniors who absolutely hated the R-word but, by the end of the semester, were so amused and almost so enthusiastic about it, that they turned out to be those dreaded seniors who didn't spare a single fuccha in college!


Anyway, the point I am driving at is that our parents are just a variant of the "College Senior" species. You know, the ones, who were coaxed into marriage by their own kin, who allured these poor souls into believing that it was the best thing happening to them and that they would live "happily ever after". And like ragging, after all these years of struggle and sustenance and tolerating kids like us, these guys pretty much begin to believe that this is, indeed, a kind of happiness. I think it's not their fault too. Anyone would be disillusioned in 20 years into believing that kind of stuff. :-P

But you can meet these Real parents only, once you are Out of college. So as soon as YOU turn a "marriageable age" according to the "College Senior" species, they will try to allure you too, with day dreams and false promises of a happily ever after life. But you see, kids these days are too smart for that! Now, did we not give them a real hard time, while tearfully agreeing to part with our beloved bachelorhood/spinsterhood status? I can feel some of you giving a crooked smile because you are still revelling in your Oh-So-Single status.

And no, the buck doesn't stop just there. According to the "College Senior", having a baby/planning a baby/getting pregnant within a year of marriage is the best thing that you can do to yourself or with your life. And no, you shouldn't dare debate the topic with them. Otherwise, you will be made to listen to umpteen stories of ladies, who apparently had to go the Ash way (you know, fertility treatments and sky rocketing medical bills and test tube babies!) and That's NOT GOOD! They did it and now you must too. Talk about handing down legacy!

You can act horrified, and say yes Mama and no Mama and try to divert the topic but the "College Senior" never takes No for an answer. Up to you to decide to be the Meek Junior and say, "Yes Sir" or be the Cheeky One and say, "Yes Sir, you heard it right! I WON’T do it!”

PS: Have you met your Real Parents yet?

1 comment:

  1. uhhh ... so..... Iam-so-lost-what-are-trying-to-say language , doesnot create that effect. keep it simple girl , too may elusive jargons.
    Your point of real parents passing on heritage is quite true, infact ur going to be nagging one .

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)