Sunday, February 26, 2012

Being a Man...

What is it about being a man that fascinates you the most?

If you had asked me that question until about a few months ago, I, like any other self-proclaimed female chauvinist, would have thrust my chin in the air and replied vehemently, "NOTHING!".

But as I grow older, (and probably wiser, that's how I like to think about it!), I believe that there are certain things that God clearly has forgotten to bless us Women with.
(I am sure some die-hard feminists are going to disagree with me here, but WTH!)

And I am not even trying to mention some inconsequential stuff like how the men can treat the world as their urinal, or how easy it is for them to dress in the (almost) same pair of clothes everyday and nobody noticing the faux pas, or how their color palette only consists of whites, blacks, reds and yellows or how, no hormonal changes ever take place in their bodies post marriage, kid, blah, blah... <Contempt>

Men, I have observed, are blessed with oodles and oodles of optimism, and more so where a lady is involved. If they have set their heart on something (or someone), no matter how many kicks in the gut they receive, they never give up. Women, I feel, are big fools when it comes to love, while the guys' mantra is "ladki ki naa mein haan h, aur haan to fir, haan h" (A girl's No has a Yes hidden in it, and Yes is a Yes is a Yes)!

There has been many an instance when I have tried to placate some guy friends that the lady in question is clearly not interested and sometimes even rude enough to tell them that they were out of her league. But I have had the pleasure of attending this guy's wedding with her lady and prayed hard for a short bout of amnesia to make him forget whatever s**t I tried telling him.;-))

And there is this thing about a guy's perseverance. Girls will more often than not, fall for a guy with perseverance, money, looks, talent and in that order! Girls always feel some kind of a responsibility towards a man who's been trying to woo her for a long time and sooner or later will be found to have given in. I guess it's all due to our stupid mother hen instincts which make us feel us feel guilty about not being able to reciprocate their feelings. And most of the times, we confuse this affection with L-O-V-E.

The other thing that I really (Really!!!!!) envy in guys is how clearly their life is divided into black and white, while we girls struggle with almost 673 shades of grey!
Guys will always have chalked out things that they want to do and what not to do. While we girls will nervously keep shuffling feet and wringing our hands about the pros and cons of a decision we are going to make. Or how it will affect our near and dear ones. While the guys will go ahead, make the decision and either be successful at it or gain experience and move on.

And therefore, women are often left confused when their ardent-fans-cum-boyfriends turned husbands suddenly lose interest in them. It’s none of their fault. It’s just that the guys are wired that way. They wanted something. They got it and have now set their next target. I really think that this is something that has been handed down over from our ancestors where the men had to take quick decisions while hunting in the jungles. They did not have the luxury of mulling over. While the women were the nurturer of the family, taking care of everyone and 1000 years later, the situation is still the same!

In hindsight, it does feel like a blessing to be a woman.
But when I am getting late for the office, and still undecided about what to wear, or what gifts to buy for family and friends, the never ending confusions whether they would like it or not, the never ending guilt of spending more time in office than at home, or when I see my new jeans getting wasted because it no longer fits me because I-have-no-time-to-exercise, I really wish I could be a Man.

And I am not even trying to mention some inconsequential stuff like how the men can treat the world as their urinal, or how easy it is for them to dress in the (almost) same pair of clothes everyday and nobody noticing the faux pas, or how their color palette only consists of whites, blacks, reds and yellows or how, no hormonal changes ever take place in their bodies post marriage, kid, blah, blah... <Contempt><Contempt><Contempt><sigh>

25 comments:

  1. "women are often left confused when their ardent-fans-cum-boyfriends turned husbands suddenly lose interest in them."
    OMG.... What r u sayin?? Does tht happen in real life..... No way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rashi: The context here was in comparison with the times when the men are wooing the said lady and obviously, are spending more than enough time on her than they would ever do after getting hitched!

    And believe me...that wudn't happen with you with a certian Mr. Sharma around :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh... okk.... :) :)
    N I sooo agree with u on... I would rather be a man and not have to go through things like.... "when I am getting late for the office, and still undecided about what to wear"...
    Believe me... The amount of time I spend in front of the wardrobe everyday.... deciding what to wear... is much less than the time taken to actually get ready...
    N bout the Mr.Sharma part.. Blush blush.... ;) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rashi: haha... ;-)) *same pinch*

    ReplyDelete
  5. you could be a man , nowadays thats also possible. what you want is thinking like man. That could be developed.a child learns to behave like man or woman in growing years. It is the attitude/freedom whats maketh. And that what completes the circle of ying yang.Woman are adorable for what they are. It may be silly but expected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @inner-musings: i thnk u missed the point in the last para... And I am not even saying anything! ;-))

    @Rahul: who? Me? ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmm....!! kya bolun...! :)

    //"ladki ki naa mein haan h, aur haan to fir, haan h
    hehe..ye mere ko bahut pasand aaya!!!

    //how clearly their life is divided into black and white, while we girls struggle with almost 673 shades of grey!
    sahi...Girls do know lot of colors!!! :O

    so much of inner musings uh Mrs. Rant queen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one Ghata :)

    -Shweta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a girl, I believe in being like a lady, thinking like a man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @I do, I do: With that, we are half way up there! but what about the world being our urinal, and clothes and colors, and WEIGHT?

      Delete
  10. OMG... your post is just like it came out of my mind. I am loving the way you expressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Akatma Times: thnx a ton! hope to see u here more often!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. @deba: I am so glad u agree wid me :-)

      Delete
  12. nice one! :D

    wanna co-author a novel with me on this ?? :P :D I



    wanna add so much details to this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Vishal J: hheehe...I wud love to...lets start work on it!

      Delete
  13. Guys are wired that way. They wanted something. They got it and have now set their next target..

    Wow...what a analysis... Bang On !!!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. that was a very funny read Ghata! looking forward to reading more such observational gems from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad u liked it! looking forward to seeing more of you here :-)

      Delete
  15. had come here from another post but saw this title in the 'popular posts' and knew I had to see it :)
    True, we definitely dont overanalyse things..maybe a couple of very braod shades pf grey are there, but thats it :) works well most of the time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad u liked it! And welcome to the blog :-)

      Delete

I love to hear back from you :)