Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Do you WeChat ???

My friend N recently moved to US for higher studies. Initially we tried to make do with WhatsApp but it proved to be too exhausting with so much of texting. We needed something more instantaneous, something that could connect us instantly. Skype did help to an extent, but then again, we had to schedule our timings, sit in front of a laptop and then Skype religiously for an hour or so, because we knew that for the next 24 hours we wouldn't be able to do that! Everyday international calling for gossip, that too on a student budget, was out of the question. And then what happened was a Godsend! I was sent a mail by the BlogAdda guys that I was one among the chosen people to review a chat application called WeChat. I was happy, but I didn't know then that this was a godsend opportunity to not only do a review but also solve my communication trouble with N.

I immediately installed WeChat on my Android phone and started exploring its features. You can also download this application for your iPhone, Windows or Symbian OS from their website http://www.wechatapp.com, absolutely free of cost. As I went on a discovery spree, I discovered the most unique, important and incredible feature i.e. Video/Audio calling, Voice Messaging and group Chat - text & voice. It's like Skype "on the go". Quick, comfortable and great to have. The chat feature is both one on one as well as group and has an extensive range of animated and custom emoticon and emoji art, and customizable backgrounds. Like various others chat and texting applications available in cyber space, WeChat too has provisions for photo, music, video sharing, location sharing and contact information exchange.

Some other new features like "Shake" and "LookAround" are totally cool. You literally have to "Shake" your phone and it will list out various WeChat users you can befriend. LookAround makes use of your geographical location to list out various "friends" and WeChat users in your vicinity. It's completely secure, robust and has a good response time. The Voice Message feature's really cool too. You can record messages any time and send it to the other person. It's like a sweet amalgamation of the texting and calling features - being able to listen to somebody talk at your own discretion :-)Integrated social media connect with the app is again a novel feature to discuss all the gossip happening in real time ;-)




However there were a couple of things that I find better in WhatsApp....like it shows if your message has been read by the recipient or not, or at what time it was "seen" by the other person. It really puts me at ease if I know that N has read my message. Since we are in different time zones, instant replies are a luxury. But the knowledge that your emotions are halfway across the world intact is close enough to luxury that we can afford :-D

Till now, all these chat applications and plug ins have been limited to the Android and Windows market, but WeChat's Blackberry version is going to be launched soon too. And with that, the incompatibility issues of Android and Blackberry will be a thing of the past. Language barriers have also been broken as it currently supports 17 languages with more languages coming soon. What more can I say? It's the next best thing in the chat era with a host of features, just a button click away and absolutely free of cost. No wonder this application already has 200 million users worldwide and it's the No. 1 Social app on iOS across 24 countries. Need I say more? Go check it out for yourself.

This review has been written as a part of BlogAdda's Sponsored Reviews.

3 comments:

  1. I so wish I could make use of this app...it sounds so freaking cool! But you toh know the story of my phone :(

    But very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah....ya...know the story of your phone.....don't worry! Let's just wait for another blogger meet ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ghata,

    Just came across this review once I was done reviewing it myself. :)
    Yeah, the time stamp of messages seems to be the only bottleneck in this otherwise great app. Glad you liked it, though it has more number of Chinese users :p

    Nice review, here's a peek into my take on the app,
    http://road-to-sanitarium.blogspot.in/2012/12/my-first-software-review.html

    Regards

    Jay
    http://road-to-sanitarium.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)