Saturday, January 11, 2014

The fruit of my labor!!

This post is dedicated to all my friends who are in the family way and want to know my delivery experience. You see, it's not something I can sum up in a few words. It's a long drawn out experience. So sit back and enjoy. Better if you can haul in a tub of popcorn.

So I was in my 39th week of pregnancy and there were still no signs of  labor. The doc had asked us to wait for another week.
It was a friday, and I was feeling pretty exhausted. I decided to make it my last working day in office. As luck would have it, I woke up with mild pains on saturday morning. Inspite of the pain, I was happy because finally something was happening. H was informed, and we both decided to get ready and head to the hospital. By the time we had groomed ourselves for the little one's arrival, the pains had subsided too. We thought they would come back. We were in for disappointment. 6 hours of labor pain had amounted to nothing. Quite obviously, I was upset.

The rest of  Saturday passed without any drama. Sunday was pretty much the same. I went for my regular walk on sunday evening and that's when I felt mild contractions. I ignored them as signs of false labor again. By 10 in the night, the contractions were still mild but regular. But the disappointed me went off to sleep. I slept fitfully for a couple of hours as the contractions continued.  By 3 in the morning, the pains were harder and woke up H :-P I still belived this was not real, and decided to see the gynae closer home before heading to the hospital.  :-P

The gynae at the hospital confirmed that indeed I was in active labor. In pain, but happy again, we set
out for the hospital at 4 in the morning. I was in a lot of pain by the time we started for hospital and  I was worried if we would reach the hospital in time. Reach the hospital we did and I was duly admitted at 5 in the morning.

What followed was hours and hours of gruelling, mind numbing pain. I cried and cried and requested the doctor and nurses to do a C-sec. But the doc knew it was the pain talking, not me. After a couple of hours, the nurses weren't sympathetic either. I got a good hearing from the nurses many a times but nothing mattered. The pain loomed large over everything. I was sure I was going to die :-P

Finally around 2 pm, after 16 hours of excruciatingly  maddening pains, little S finally made a grand entry in this world. The scene inside the labor room was quite filmy though. There I was, crying from the pain, quite like how they show in the movies. The gynae and the nurses were, quite film-ily asking me to push harder and harder. In the final moments, when I literally pushed the life out of me,
and S was born, I fell back tired and relived. And a couple of seconds later, i heard the typical "uaan uaan" crying of the infant. I think I smiled in my heart :-)

But filmy or not, it's true that the sight of your newborn at that moment is enough to make you forget all the pain.

Little S makes me happy :-)



11 comments:

  1. Pretty baby- lucky u 16 hrs is not bad :)
    My first one came after 24 hrs but I tell u
    a normal delivery is better than c-sec any day....just watch how
    quickly you'll bounce back!
    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 24 hours....hmmm... :-/
      But yeah...normal is any day better. I hope u n d baby r doing good too :-)
      Thanks for ur wishes farina :-D

      Delete
  2. Very cutee baby...muuaahhh....thanks ghata for sharing ur exp... :) ;)
    God bless u both

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love u cutie samakhya........the experience shared is good undoubtedly but our sweetie pie takes all our attention

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Ghata! God bless you and baby S :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Soumya for your blessings :-)

      Delete
  5. Ghata i almost cried myself .. anyways congratulations to u and best wishes to ur little one, once again ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww....hugs dear. And thanks a ton for your super sweet wishes :-D

      Delete
  6. Tears and smile,best couple in the world,never seen together,but when found together,it's the best moment of life. I have heard this line many times but got it's meaning after reading this. Best wishes and lots of Love to little 'S'.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)