Thursday, January 30, 2014

(Un)Learning ?

I am going to be a 2 month old mother. Little S is growing up fast and naughty. Everyday I think of things I will teach her, activities that I will do with her as she grows up. We, as adults think of  infants as these tiny fragile things who are incapable and helpless for just about everything. That we need to teach them anything and everything. How wrong could we be?

Little S Is a demanding kid. When she wants something she wants it. Now how on earth am I supposed to know what is it that she wants? All she does is cry. But even these tiny little people know how to get their message across. They have different styles of crying. Soft sounds which might be a warning, medium pitched crying by which time you should ideally be on your toes, and finally the high voltage wails which if you haven't heeded the first two types of cries. God gave them only one weapon to start their journey. And boy, do they use it well.

These little people are just like animals in so many ways. No pun intended. Their sensory skills are so sharp. Don't they just surprise you when you put them down on the bed and lo, surprised wondering eyes greet you. And this is when you have been rocking them for the past half hour or more and you are busy congratulating yourself for the good work done. They can differentiate between the softest cradle and their parents' arms. I know I know. All you new mums like me are nodding your heads and smiling :-)

As we grow up, we rely so much on what the eyes see and what the ears hear. As we grow, we gradually forget or unlearn how sensitive and initutive we were, once. And that makes me think, I have so much to learn from little S rather than the other way round....isn't it?

4 comments:

  1. Sweet feeling- n believe me this is the most relaxing time for you...once she starts crawling and walking- you have to keep on child proofing your house- forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, Ghata! Your daughter makes my heart melt. You are absolutely right. We lose so many of our instincts as well grow older including our spontaneity. Wait till she starts crawling and makes you work hard :).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)