Tuesday, April 1, 2014

B for Bookshelf

"A man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"

There are things that you dream of when you are young. As you grow up, some of them remain with you, while others become a fond memory. So while the thought of marrying SRK has become an amusing memory now (even though I secretly wish it sometimes), the love for books has stayed with me. When I was younger, my dream was to have a library in my house. But of course, then, I grew up. And realized, thanks to the sky rocketing real estate prices, that I might never own a library.

My fantasy room would have an all white decor with 3 walls covered with rows and columns of books. And in the centre of the room, surrounded by my books, would be my rocking chair where I could read for hours on end. Cut to reality. We are yet to buy our own house. Don't know how practical it would be to have an all white decor, considering it's difficult and expensive upkeep.

But hey, I could own at least a decent (or 2) book shelves, with all my books lined in there beautifully. I would most proudly place it in my living room  and show it off. After all they are assets oof my hard earned money, bought and stored safely over the years.
So now, I know for sure the next piece of furniture that is going to adorn my house. And my life. It would be a part of my childhood dream come true.

PS : If you have have pointers regarding where I can find a smart and suave book shelf and does not cost a bomb, you know where to reach me :-) 

17 comments:

  1. Your love for books shines through your words. :) I was imagining the room you described and suddenly i am longing for just such a room. The only thing I want extra is a window with trees outside. Now, that is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last month, husband and I finally built my dream bookshelf! And, yes, it is white! Take a look at my blog for the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey my B is for Books too :) And I too dream of owning a book shelf where all my books can sit prettily. Recently I bought a book shelf from PepperFry and they have really affordable furniture. The only negative is that it's all self assembled. Take a look at the bookshelf on my post today. Great that I could connect with you on this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still dream of owning a large bookshelf covering one or even two whole walls of my home. I love books too, and i have managed like you to make a small but decent reading corner for myself. Would you believe? I have read some books so many times that they are all dog eared, even though I know the story word for word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would seem more practical in getting a kindle or tablet and then housing your collection in it.. I agree it doesn't have the same feel to it, but that is much easier in today's rising costs of book shelves and properties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as I am concerned, the smallest house that has a book shelf is very designed indeed. Having a library in my home is a dream for me too. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Book shelves do beautify books. Am a proud owner of one. Actually I was. Now Imran and I use temple room as books room . Place all i nthe shelves (not any diff eh :) )
    I fantasize a great one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a small shelf. and am happy for that :) a thing of beauty and pride it is for me

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too dream of a study...but till the time I get one, my wooden shelves overflowing with books give me company...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dream is to have a whole room filled with bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A showcase for books is a must in the study....what a fantastic dream ! Trust it turns real sooner than you think !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like a good bookshelf. "I cannot live without books" - Thomas Jefferson

    ReplyDelete
  13. I dream of a library too and I dream of it having bookshelves in all colours. What a lovely dream! May your dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A room without books is like a life without soul!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey I recently got a custom made bookshelf.. Haven't arranged the books in it though. Will do it by this weekend ..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goes for all avid readers I suppose.. nothing like having all of favourite books lined up neatly in a pretty bookshelf ;) reminders of the world that u were lost in while reading that awesome book.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)