Wednesday, April 2, 2014

C for Chivalry

Chivalry refers to the courteous behavior extended by men, especially towards women. It is a custom followed from the medieval times. Back in the day, it was easy for a man to be courteous. Women were homemakers and always had to fall back on the men to bring in food, love and security to the house.

Times have changed, and so have the equations of men and women in our society. At least in the urban jungles. Women earn their own money, drive their own cars and there is nothing for which they have to depend on the men. Men and women no longer get married to procreate. And that is where, this whole generation is confused about whether chivalry is acceptable or not.

While the women may be independent and all that, they are still trying to break through the glass ceiling when it comes to dealing with men in the real world. And because of that, most of the women find it presumptuous or even hypocritical to accept any kind of chivalry from the men. To accept a man's offer to drop her home late at night might expose her physical vulnerability as a woman. And so the woman carries on alone, albeit unsafe. To make it in a man's world.


Some men have been rejected and often ridiculed by women at their acts of chivalry that the men completely swear off them now. I don't disagree with them. And I do believe there are a few good men out there.

Ladies, my point is, by accepting a ride back home (assuming you will be safe) is not a weakness on your part. It is an underlying societal menace. And anything that keeps you safe is worth it. And the men, who offer ladies their seats, open the door, pull out their chairs, you rock guys! We have a very few of your species left. Make sure to woo the girls, true chivalry and all, and spread the love around. God knows we need it.

Chivalry is Cool :-) 

19 comments:

  1. A good example of chivalry in literature is the behavior of Sir Gawain in the book "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. It's older, and it's a poem, but it's pretty good.

    I think my experience is such that my politeness is mistaken as chivalry sometimes. I just like treating people well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh chivalry! seems a forgotten word

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtesy and politeness can never go out of fashion, be it from men or women. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know whether chivalry is cool or not but I like courteous behaviour. I also open doors for others irrespective of their gender, and I like when people show me the same courtesy. As far as dropping back home at night is concerned, I take that as care and concern and welcome it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachna said exactly what I had in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, It does make me feel special :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like chivalry. I think we women do enough for the men to deserve some special courtesy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like chivalry too but at times when it is out of bounds gets irksome :) BTW u and me wrote on totally contrasting topics today ;) good na !

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of us should be courteous and open doors. or give up seats etc for those who need it. Why should it be expected only of men? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good point. Forget chivalry, some men are not even courteous enough. Pushing women to jump into s crowded bus being the perfect example.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chivalrous men? They are an extinct species like the dodo :) But seriously if a man is chivalrous sometimes its fine but if he offers to pay the bill every time then it makes me uncomfortable, except maybe if the man was my husband ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. as they say why it takes so many attempts and a million sperms to consummate, simple women - rejection without reason :P

    on a serious note I agree that this Chivalrous species may be way too less in numbers but wherever they exist they surely rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think chivalry in this day and age needs to be reinterpreted to mean opening doors and offering seats to all those that need it, not just women. The elderly, those carrying babies, pregnant women, and the sick could all do with a little help. And the rest of us too, when we are tired.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chivalry is the most needed word in our society today.. both for men and women.Lovely post...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reminds me of an incident when my husband(a prospective match back then) wanted to drop me home after we had met for coffee. It was around 10 in the night and I profusely refused, because back then, like in most arranged marriages, I was only meeting him to see if we had a future together. We got back to our respective homes and both got scolded. He for not having insisted enough and me for refusing the offer at the time. Poor guy, he must have asked a million times. This was when I got confused. To prove that I could take care of myself, I went back home alone. It was the longest auto ride I had I guess. I was so scared, because the ride back home was anything but safe. I now know I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a member of the Society for Creative Anachronisms (we recreate the Middle Ages) I can tell you one of the appeals is the chance to experience chivalrous behavior on the part of everyone. (Watching people get bashed with swords is fun too!) When I'm out in the "real" world, I hold doors for the person with packages. I like it when young people give up their seats on the bus for me, but I give mine up for the disabled or moms with young kids. Its really about treating everyone with courtesy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! Chivalry is awesome! I love being treated well by my husband. The best of men comes out in protection and respect. I'm following your blog, b/c I like your philosophy. Come visit me if you'd like, on my facebook page: http://adventuresintheballpark.blogspot.com/2012/04/questions-for-miss-curly-cute.html
    OR blog (click on my name.) So nice to find you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. whoops, wrong facebook address. Here is the correct one:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adventures-in-the-Ballpark-Marianne-Ball/394038163950377?ref=tn_tnmn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)