Friday, April 4, 2014

E emotes Emotional!

Like the 2 sides of a coin, every decision in life comes with its pros and cons. Or to put it in context, 2 sets of emotions. The husband is flying out of country tonight for work. While we are elated at the news because it is an opportunity for him to grow in his professional life, it also means a disturbance in our personal lives because of the separation. This time, doubly hard, because of the kid involved :-(

We have been separated by the long distance before. And I have been known to bawl my eyes out a week before the departure. And these were just intercity separations. I had no idea how I was going to fare this time. Different country and all. But as I bade goodbye to my sweetheart with a smile on my face, I felt like I have grown up. I was sad and I was tensed. Being with a 4 month old, all alone for the next 30-40 days isn't child's play. Pun intended :-) But the responsibility of the child did not weaken me. Infact it strengthened me to take it up head on. Motherhood and it's learnings never stop I guess.

I have always wondered how our emotions shape our entire life, from our careers to our families. Because how we react to situations depends on our emotional quotient and our reactions to situations shapes our life. Most of us carry so much emotional baggage all the time. And sometimes, despite knowing the pitfalls of it, we can't help but give in to it.
Because our IQ is just the tip of the iceberg!

But today, I surprised myself. Not a tear. A smile :-) And a prayer for his safety and success. Emotional intelligence, here I come :-)



21 comments:

  1. Awww I can relate to your post so much. Being a parent does change a lot of things. There was a time when even a day without my betterhalf was unimaginable but now with both my kids the role has changed so much. I have grown emotionally I guess. It is first their feelings then mine. And now I easily live without him for days, weeks, months when he is travelling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why we do give in to emotions too, but it's because we feel what we feel that makes us human I guess. If we accept the emotions, even happiness is one :) Happy journey to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If one really thinks about it, the world is about emotions. Even in business world where decisions are taken 'objectively', those decisions finally work towards customer "delight". Now, how objective is that! Everyone wants to be loved & appreciated at some level or the other. So, why call people emotional? Of course, we are. That's what makes us humans. For me, emotions drive our actions in every way. More power to you! And happy journey to your husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo to you!! Kids do make us grow up really fast and you are taking this in a wonderfully positive way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the passage of time we get used to these...and we become strong. ...I think so :P E for endearing post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THese days corporates are spending so much of many on EQ training, with the realization that EQ is as much (if not more) important that IQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! Yes, I think having children does change us in ways we don't necessarily realize. All of the sudden your focus is on making sure your child is safe and happy and your own fears / emotions take a back seat. It's good that you recognize your personal growth! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have yet to grow up-- not much control over my emotions!

    Damyanti Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2014, Lates post Daily (w)rite
    Twitter: @damyantig
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sound all grown up! Head up young person! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do agree having a child, makes you grow up in more than one ways. You have to always think about the children before your own feelings and wants. But I think the rewards are plentiful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish ur hubby good luck and that u all meet again soon. Ofcourse U have grown strong and it inspires me too. That pic is so apt ;( how EQ is huge and some times weighs us down
    ! Have a grt mother daughter time Ghata

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its really weird isn't it. A small child makes you learn so many things. Nice post!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am quite emotional myself, so I know how hard it is to control this. Congrats on your improved EQ!

    A Deecoded Life

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ghata, I loved this! I always have found that my children make me stronger. My father and his love for my sister and me when we were growing up is my role model for this. My greatest wish over everything else is to be remembered as a good mother by the people who count: my sons. xox jean

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the time goes fast for you. The little one is sure for to keep you too busy to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You will emerge stronger & go from strength to strength !

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a healthy positive post, Ghata...and kids do teach us a lot, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like I say, am an emotional furball. Learning to be a little practical now. Nice post Ghata.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Before you know time it will be time for you to be together again :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)