Monday, July 14, 2014

Dream Diary (continued)

I don't know if it's the heat that made me dream like that. Or the fact that now that I have a child, I have a soft corner for every mother-child duo that I encounter on the road. I watch them intently and try to fathom the kind of relationship they have. After all, living in the kind of dearth that they do, a frustrated mother with scanty means, and a child cranky of hunger, would not really make the lovey dovey relationship that we perceive every mother child relationship to be.

So I am walking down the road with a friend. I am talking to her while pushing the pram little S is in. We near a bend and I see two other people coming from the other side. Since the bend is quite narrow, I try to steer little S's pram into a corner so the people coming in from the opposite direction can pass. I am quite engrossed in talking and haven't even noticed these people. Suddenly I see that I cannot move the pram. So I try to maneuver it to move it along a different direction. Again, I am unable to do so. It is then that I stop blabbering whatever it is that I am trying to tell my friend and actually notice these people. There is a lady who is carrying a very young baby in her arms. Holding her hand is a little boy, aged not more than 5 years. They look haggard and very poor and probably they haven't eaten in many days. Suddenly the boy collapses on the road. I see his legs have turned blue up to his knees. In my mind (in the dream), it is due to dehydration (not sure if it's true). I throw a panicked look at his mother's face. She is about to cry. Before she can do that, she collapses too. Her sari is hitched up to the knees and her legs have the same bluish hue, like the boy. There is a rickshaw puller coming from behind them. I holler to him to come and help us take these people to a nearby hospital. But the rickshaw puller, without saying a word, turns the rickshaw around and moves away. I ask other people passing by, but they pass by as if they haven't heard my cries for help! I decide to take matters in my own hands. I try to push little S's pram forward so that I can run and call someone from my neighborhood for help. Again, the pram refuses to budge. It is then that I notice the little baby from the lady's hand lying on the road. (S)he is not moving nor crying. I freeze. My heart breaks into a million pieces.  I am still wondering what to do when.....

When little S started crying and woke me up. I was quite distressed on waking up to such a dream. To having to start my day on that note. Even though my mind asked me to cheer up as it was "just a dream", my heart told me it was someone's reality.  

9 comments:

  1. Beginning of a day..or middle ..or ending (as it is for me now)..
    It doesn't matter..it is heart wrenching!

    The only good that this could do is make people realize how fortunate they are. And to some it also gives courage to actually spread out hands and help the 'not so fortunones' ones!

    These thoughts and dreams can't cease to come to us..they are there, coz they are THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beginning of a day..or middle ..or ending (as it is for me now)..
    It doesn't matter..it is heart wrenching!

    The only good that this could do is make people realize how fortunate they are. And to some it also gives courage to actually spread out hands and help the 'not so fortunate' ones!

    These thoughts and dreams can't cease to come to us..they are there, coz they are THERE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Vijaya! I think dreams are a reality of our sub conscious minds.

      Delete
  3. Moms have dreams like that all the time, Ghata! I used to dream all the time about awful things happening to children, especially my kids! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.....it's not good. It's scary and terrifying :(

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I wonder that mistake went unnoticed for almost a whole day. But of course the correction had to come from you Grammar Nazi. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Dreams are confusing feature of our life, they flashe in our eys, show us a glimps of possible future and warn us to take measures to avoid them but at the end of it we cant identify whether they were real or just a fragment of our imagination. It's quite difficult to understand natutre's indications and act as per them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)