Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Guest post : Fellowship of travelling!

I have missing in action for almost a month now. And I am not liking it AT ALL! There have been so many things to tell, half of my Euro tales still untold, and the exciting travel back home. But the office has been super hectic post vacation and combined with the festivals, it has left with no time to write.

So, the other day, I jokingly told the husband to ghost write my blog for me since I don't have the time to do it these days. Also, considering that he, being the travel junkie that he is, has been on a Euro trip for almost 7 months now, he has SO much to tell. And so he agreed to do a guest post for my blog. This is the first post of a three part series of the husband's Europe travel experience. He is as excited about seeing this in words as much as he's been on the trips :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the Quote from the movie “ UP(2009) ” which goes #Let the wilderness be explored , and I got a fair chance to apply this quote on my first onsite assignment . Modesty be damned,  I made sure no weekends got wasted in the comfy service apartment.

We all know how onsite assignments come our way. It is combination of being at right place at the right time and most importantly saying the right thing ! And voila, my company decided to send me to Germany , Dusseldorf in the month of April for strictly 30 days.

I landed in Dusseldorf on Saturday and so obviously, Sunday was wisely used ;) The nearest happening city is Koln(Cologne)- city from where EAU DE COLOGNE originated. I can go writing about my crazy experiences but I will keep it short to 1 special thing I liked about each of the destinations and may be about their food and beer.

Koln is all about Churches – they are magnificent and I have a lasting impression of all the churches I visited.It is also famous for Kolsch beer. I could tell it was different from the ones I had before . It had to be good. After all its coming from Germany, the land of beer! :P

Koln's oldest church....still under construction. Irony?


Amsterdam <Holland>– Heineken brewery experience – Being a beer fan I could relate to Darwin’s theory of origin. Food is about big French fries called Pommes Frites . In the chilly summer it was a perfect snack. I'd prefer to write about the (in)famous Amsterdam nightlife in an anonymous blog :-D

The Heinken brewery in Amsterdam!

Brussels <Belgium> Autoworld – Most comprehensive and live models of cars from 1800 . I could relate to most of models as I have played them in NFS and midtown madness video games. "When in Belgium, do the chocolate", and so that’s the first thing I had when I landed there - Chocolate waffle beside Mannekan Piss. That boy was pissing and I was gorging hot Belgium chocolate ;)

With THE cars!

Hamburg<Germany> - 1 hour ferry ride by Hamburg docking station. Amazing view of gigantic ships,city and sunset on far side of the river. 



Dusseldorf <Germany>– Visiting the Alstadt old town and Uerige brewery which over 150 years old .And ordering food by the Rhine river marks the day complete. Been staying in this city for 6 months now, and there is nothing much to do except have beer with locals and admire Germany’s weather and their perfection of trains, metro and clean roads. 

Snack served with the local beer- a piece of meat, loaf of bread, onion rings and spicy mustard sauce!

And that’s how a month got over - sweating it out in office 5 days and wandering endlessly on weekends. I returned to India with chocolates for colleagues and stories for family. My assignment got extended for next 3 months and I flew back to Germany again in May .This time determined to explore more than the natives have done. 

To be continued …..

9 comments:

  1. Oh I loved the tales! :) When I went to the UK last year, I had armed myself with a DSLR and had the same intention- to not stay home any of the weekends. Wanderlust is a bug, and I am happy to be bitten.

    There is something about the cafes by the riverside in Europe that gives me butterflies in the stomach. Nothing in the world can match that feeling of sitting by the water, sipping coffee!

    Looking forward to more adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Akanksha....I loved their river side cafes too. He would order a beer, and me, a coffee. It just felt like DDLJ, 5 years later. You know, with a kid and all :P

      Delete
    2. A sequel to DDLJ? (Modesty Blaise)

      Delete
    3. @thewordcoiner : it definitely felt like that :)

      Delete
  2. That was a lovely slice of Europe. And food by the Rhine sounds like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part was we just lived 2 minutes away from the Rhine :)

      Delete
  3. Cool. Loved the pictures and the travel tales. Looking forward to more.
    Had to wait ages to see the pics. Very bad connection here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.....wish could send you more pictures. More is definitely coming your way...soon! :) Thank you so much for reading Shail :)

      Delete
  4. Seven months of travelling? What fun!

    It appears the Cathedral at Koln is on a permanent restoration spree. We visited Germany in 2005 and the Cathedral had scaffolding.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)