Thursday, November 27, 2014

Guest Post : Return of the Traveller

If you haven't read the first 2 parts; you can read them here and here.

I had precisely 2 months left to return to the motherland. Also, 2 days left for Oktober fest .What does one do? Yeah! Exactly my point! :)

Munich – I survived the Oktober fest  and lived to tell the tales of 1 liter beer mugs , roasted chicken plates, hurried waiters , dancing on tables, lines for entry in tents and empty pockets in the end .This one just got checked off from the bucket list.



Fussen - Neuschwanstein castle -  It is called fairy tale castle for a reason. Once I went there, I just nodded in affirmation . It is  awe inspiring, surrounded by a forest, waterfall and crystal clear blue lake. Heaven must look something like this.



Heidelberg -  Philosophenweg translated unto philosophers' walk . It is a steep hike of about 1 Km up the
mountain besides a flowing river and famous castle. It really tests your stamina .With the beer belly it was all the more tough. But I managed to conquer it and got the best landscape shots which I think I can sell for wallpapers. Yup...they are that good!



Black Forest-  I went to place which is famous for making cuckoo clocks - Neustadt Titisee.The clocks' prices start from 50 € and go up to as expensive as 1000$ . One of the craziest thing I did was to rent a cycle and drove into the black forest even as there was a mild drizzle. And I think this is the best way to discover nature if you are not time bound. I drove about 20 km inside out and had their famous alcoholic black forest pastry to end the day.



Barcelona – Hands down this beats all the beaches and sea food one can see or have in a lifetime. My
wonderful moments were the dip in the Mediterranean sea, and watching Barcelona soccer match which was completely coincidental.One of the local markets had huge crabs,lobster,sea urchins,eels, jumbo prawns and whatever lies beneath the sea! Terrifying experience to see but a wonderful one to eat them ;-)



Istanbul – It is  true that it is a melting pot of cultures . With sea, sand, majestic mosques, rich history and
bright markets covered with spices, earthen lamps, jewelry and baklavas (a Turkish sweet) this has to be a  special mention and a befitting end to my Euro trip.My favourite moments are actually more than one – a walk down the spice market , Topkapi palace tour , Hagia Sophia  and Medussa head . The food was very spicy like in India . Their local food is a must try. I had kokorech (pronounced as cockroach), which is nothing but a simple grilled meat sandwich. I also tried their Menemen (omlette cooked in onion gravy with breads).
TIP-exchange currency at spice market with best value and no commission.



Belgrade –  This was a stop over while returning to Germany from Istanbul. 10 hours was a decent time and so I visited the lesser known tourist destinations. It is one of the few countries which have their prime attractions open 24 hours and  have free entry. The first stop was Belgrade Fort . This is a huge fort with exhibitions and tanks, anti –aircraft guns, torpedos kept for display from WW-1 times. Plus it hosts a man made Jurassic park theme restaurant and kids play area. It boasts of a bohemian street – Skarlidkja . It has some overpriced restaurants but food generally tastes good even though different.



And with this, my seemingly never ending journey came to an end, and now seems like a beautiful dream.
8 countries - a total of 22 cities – pretty much sum up my Euro travel tales .Some good memories to live with – until we make the next one! :)

Thank you reading the posts . Signing off with lines from Robert frost – Miles to go before I sleep …..

9 comments:

  1. Very nice place. I wish I could go there and enjoy the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you can go there someday too :) Thanks for reading anusia !

      Delete
    2. Superbb!!!! enjoyed reading it!!!! u visited so many places...mast hai....6 (?) months well spent! :)
      I am glad u tried Baklawa...its very famous here too! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful place..Such a peace with a large waterside....Will surely visit and will also get back to you with the experience of mine...thank u for the article...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Shreya! I will wait for it :)

      Delete
  3. Loved the post...Recently I was offered long term onsite for Germany...nd I said No ...reading the post I am kinda regretting;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladki....you should have definitely taken it! Who says no to travelling the world on office money? :P

      Delete
  4. Wow, so many wonderful places I feel so envious. I want to go to Spain some day soon. Loved the pics too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)