Thursday, March 12, 2015

He Fixed the Match, She Fixed him - Book review


Sneak from the cover

Shreya – I’m a highly qualified Delhi girl earning an enviable salary. My parents are having a tough time finding a suitable groom for me. However, recently they have a proposal from this very interesting guy from Mumbai. I almost get mesmerised when he starts talking to me. I think I like him very much.

Kunal – I’m owner of a textile company in Mumbai. My mom wants me to get married. Again. She has recently suggested a suitable girl from Delhi. What my mom doesn’t know is that I’ve already met Shreya before once in my life and I’ve been looking for her ever since. I have a vendetta to settle.





He fixed the match She fixed him is your typical Bollywood style love story, with a beautiful girl and a handsome boy who are at loggerheads with each other due to some reason. Here, the reason is their past which has some very filmy sequences. To avenge his past, Kunal gets married to Shreya but obviously, they hate each other and keep trying to outdo each other. Eventually, they realize they are not as bad as they try to be and fall in love. And live happily ever after ! <Smirk>

I mean, don't be disheartened. If you really like cheesy love stories, you should definitely pick it up. And I am not judging you at all. Just that it is not my type. I find the story and sequences all too clichéd. Even though the author has carved out the characters and their families in detail, the plot somehow does not have logic in a lot of places.

Like Shreya is shown to be this ambitious girl who is an MBA, works in a top notch firm earning a handsome salary, but literally marries a guy she has met just once, for 5 minutes. I mean, really? And then, just because it is necessary (for the plot) for Shreya to not see the Kunal’s face at the wedding, she is made to wear her pallu long enough to have covered her eyes during the pheras. And then she eventually uncovers the truth when she sees Kunal in her room on her wedding night. I mean, there is the stage, there is the jaimala, dinner and countless other ceremonies where the girl CAN have a look at the guy's face on the wedding day. Logic much?

The book moves at a high pace through the first half, and that's how it keeps you hooked. The second half loosens the pace and there is a lot of technical jargon especially in the sequences where Kunal and Shreya are shown working together. Although it does lend a realistic tone to the scene, I would have preferred this reality in other life's scenarios as well. The book just drags towards the end, with unnecessary twists to create excitement which end up dragging the story.

I found the book totally average and would rate it 2 on 5.

PS: These are totally my sentiments on the book. Please go ahead and pick a copy if you like this genre.

3 comments:

  1. The story reminds of the serial Kutumb by Ekta Kapoor!

    Going by your review there is no way I would pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ladies, just dropped in to let you know your wishes turned fruitful. Film rights for this book has been traded, it will soon be a major motion picture.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)