Monday, December 21, 2015

The Bestseller She Wrote - Book Review



It is the tale of Paperback king Aditya Kapoor’s life. His is a modern man’s fantasy. His literary stardom is
perfectly balanced by a loving wife and a spectacular career. With everything he touches turning to gold, Aditya is on a winning streak. On the other hand is Shreya Kaushik is a student with a heart full of
ambition. Young, beautiful, and reckless, Shreya speaks her mind and obsessively chases after what she wants. And what she wants is to be a bestselling author. What happens when their worlds collide? Is it
possible to love two people at the same time? Can real ambition come in the way of blind passion? Can trust once broken, be regained?

The blurb isn’t too exciting. And the title of the book almost gives the plot away. But then you want to read
the book because the author’s reputation of being the John Grisham of India precedes him. This was my
first book by the author, Ravi Subramanian, even though I had been recommended to pick up at least one of his works by some of my well read blogger friends. And so when the team at BlogAdda asked if I would be interested in reviewing this book, it had to be a Yes. 

The book to me pretty much seemed like a movie. A movie whose first half is been-there-seen(read)-that. All run of the mill stuff. A successful couple, a picture perfect family and a beautiful intelligent third cog in the wheel. And then, the second half which is replete with twists and turns and melodrama and action and the thrills. The second half is interesting and pacey and you can’t keep the book down until you have read it through.

What worked for me:

1) The twists and turns. Even though it was not impossible to guess the suspense, the author does manage to keep the reader hooked on.

2) A lot of insights into the literary world as the story involves a successful author and a debutante author. He actually talks about real life stuff like publishing houses, pricing and marketing a book.

What didn’t work for me:

1) He wrote a thriller and left clues all over the place. Even in some places where there is no significance. Like in Paris, the lady who first contracts Ebola is reading one of Aditya’s books. And while Aditya’s wife is totally fretting over her and trying to arrange help for her, she has her eyes on the book. In the end, it didn’t amount to anything. Maybe it was done to confuse the reader, but to me it felt like lose ends of a story.

2) A long drawn (and totally unnecessary) drama with Ebola. It could simply have been viral. The serious nature of the disease didn't add anything to the story.

3) The hospital scene in which Aditya vents his feeling for his wife was too Bollywood-ish. I mean, c’mon, who does that in real life? And the doctor actually had the time to take out that CCTV footage to convince Aditya’s wife of his love!

4) A lot of stuff seemed to have been written so as to be picked up for an easy Bollywood adaptation. I really felt the story could have much more depth in it.

I was really confused about my feelings for this book. Even though it wasn’t mind blowing for me, it definitely wasn’t all that bad either. It’s one of those books which lie somewhere in the middle. And so, I would give it a 2.5 on 5.

These views are my own and may definitely differ from yours. If you like fast paced thrillers, do pick up the book.

I am reviewing ‘The Bestseller She Wrote’ by Ravi Subramanian as a part of the biggest Book Review Program for Indian Bloggers. Participate now to get free books!

10 comments:

  1. interesting review! I think i am going to give this book a miss :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope i didn''t give you that impression ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably he could have written a non-fiction book about Indian publishing scene. He can still do it... :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hi,
    I regular top blog readers, and your blog is in my one of top blog reading list, I really love and like reading your blogs! And I really liked this post as well.. One Roommate has sex while the other is supposedly sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the Bestseller Book Review

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogging is that the new poetry. I notice it terrific and wonderful in some ways.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear back from you :)